Monday, December 7, 2009

Quotes for the Bibliomaniac


There are only a few things in my life that trump the importance of books. Sometimes I am drawn to my bookshelves, as though I am looking for something specific, but I eventually walk away empty handed. An eerie sensation overcomes me while standing in front of my books, yet, for the longest time, I couldn't quite pinpoint it. It's not quite pride. Not quite desire. Then one day I realized what it was. I was drawn to my books to simply stare and admire. The thought of all that knowledge, entertainment, wisdom, character, and wit of my most beloved authors, both dead and alive, staring back at me often brings me to the brink of tears. If you embrace your bibliomaniacal ways as I do, enjoy the following quotes, pulled straight from - you guessed it - my very own books.

" A little library, growing larger every year, is an honorable part of a man's history. It is a man's duty to have books. A library is not a luxury, but one of the necessities of life." - Henry Ward Beecher

"The novel, in its best form, I regard as one of the most powerful engines of civilization ever invented." - Sir John Herschel

"The first time I read an excellent book, it is to me just as if I had gained a new friend; when I read over a book I have perused before, it resembles the meeting with an old one." - Oliver Goldsmith

"But words are things, and a small drop of ink, falling like dew, upon a thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think." Lord Byron

"Give us a house furnished with books rather than with furniture. Both if you can, but books at any rate." Henry Ward Beecher

"We are as liable to be corrupted by books as by companions." Henry Fielding

No comments:

Labels