Sunday, August 17, 2008

Lord, I can't wait to don that scarf


I was smiling so hard my face hurt.I sprinted down a cold brick road, past towering Victorian houses and picket fences while leaves of amber and crimson twirled and spun to the ground. Massive oak branches blotted out the sun,marbling the brown grass and cracked sidewalk. I smelled the droopy, gnatty pumpkins and wood burning stoves of my childhood. I was yelling something and I could see my breath.
When I awoke, I was still smiling and my heart beat was shaking my cheeks. I couldn't go back to sleep. I quietly snuck out of bed, concealed by the annoying humm of the air conditioner dripping in the window and stepped out for a smoke into the soggy, musty air of summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm about 30 items short so I'll take any suggestions you have! And you seem like an honest guy and I love reading honest work so it won't disappoint.

Labels