Saturday, January 23, 2010

Pink shmink



Pink necklaces. Pink rubber wrist bands. Pink cosmetics. Pink broaches. Pink t-shirts. Pink sunglasses. Pink laptops. Pink...soup cans. Wait, what? Pink cement trucks? Pink pistols?



Has this breast cancer awareness thing gotten totally out of hand? Don't get me wrong, I'm all about healing and finding cures and surviving and all that jazz, but where do the lines of decency in promoting a cause get drawn? At what point do we filter the products that get a coat of pink to boost sales? How long until American consumers say, "you know what? If I want to help find a cure for breast cancer I'll donate to the American Cancer Society, just don't offer me a pink snow shovel."?

All this wreckless spattering of pink has taken the honor out of the fight for breast cancer and has transformed it into a matter of popular culture and marketing. I find it just as insulting to see a pink cement mixer as I do to see a punk ass kid with a POW MIA tattoo plastered around his forearm because his great uncle is a Vietnam veteran.


As a matter of fact, next time I'm at Walgreens and they offer me a breast cancer awareness flashlight for 4.99 I'll tell them to actually make a difference by donating money to the American Cancer Society, then shove the flashlight up their ass.

If you would like to donate to help fight cancer click here and save yourself from buying some tacky, pink item you don't need.

No comments:

Labels